Please, Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, and Florida Highway Patrol Training Academy, target the real menace on the roads, the passing lane hogs!
One of my pet peeves on the highway is the morons and deliberate jerks who have some genetic need to hog the passing lane even if the middle and first lane are empty for miles.
This phenomenon is common in all states but Florida literally has the worst cases. And in Florida the most egregious cases I have seen have been on I-4 near Orlando. With literally SIX LANES and no traffic I have seen a dozen cars late at night, heading west on I-4, each one in the passing lane and not moving over for traffic coming up behind and even signaling.
The Tampa Bay Times had an article about how a lack of highway patrol staff is reducing the number of speeding tickets getting issued. Yes, irresponsible speeding can cause loss of control but the worst hazard are the brain dead jerks who hog the passing lane.
IMHO, In My Humble Opinion,
1. A responsible driver driving even 20 mph over the posted limit in a straight line in the middle lane on a HIGHWAY with little traffic is not the problem, but is still more likely to get ticketed.
2. The brain-dead or fat-necked or lazy slob or deliberate jerk who does not move over from the PASSING Lane deliberately forcing people to go around on the wrong side is MORE likely to cause
– b) collisions of other cars) but can go driving like that for miles, but no one pulls them over. I literally have seen only ONE case of it. (Read that at the end below).
3. If the fewer officers available targeted these types of callous and obnoxious drivers with higher fines, it will have many benefits.
– a) revenue for the state
– b) target the real menace on the roads who endanger others
– c) make people actually use turn signals AND stay in appropriate lanes
d) create fewer hazardous situations
e) create fewer road rage reasons, and
f) will automatically be a deterrent even to the speeding drivers as it is human nature to behave when seeing someone else pulled over.
So, that one time I saw someone get puled over. A total jerk in a huge black SUV who was not letting me pass on I-4 near Tampa. He did not move over even when a Florida Highway Patrol car came up behind him after I moved to the next right lane. The guy did not let the cop pass either!
I never cheer any regular non-drunk driver getting pulled over for ‘normal’ non-aggressive speeding. But, oh, the joy, when the FHP officer had enough and blared his sirens to pull that prick over.
That LITERALLY is the ONLY case I have seen in 30 years of driving in USA. Please, Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, and Florida Highway Patrol Training Academy, target the real menace on the roads, the passing lane hogs!